Women’s Leadership Training Centre is a feminist organization based in Assam, working towards gender and social equality. WLTC focuses on enhancing women’s capacities and creating space and opportunity for women (cis and trans) to take decision making and leadership positions within families, communities, in governance and politics.
WLTC was founded in 2015 by a group of grassroots feminist women leaders from different parts of Assam. Since then WLTC has been addressing issues of gender equality and women’s rights like violence against women, customary law and women, women’s participation in governance and politics and women’s access to land and natural resources etc.
Our primary partner communities are women from marginalised groups such as:
-rural, indigenous, urban poor women
- women workers
- tea gardens, LBTA++ and women with disabilities.
- We work primarily in Assam through direct community intervention work and with other states of the North-East through our leadership building programmes. We are working in the districts of Kamrup, Barpeta, Kokrajhar, Karbianlong, Dima Hasao, Sonitpur, Jorhat and Lakhimpur in Assam.
Vision & Mission
WLTC’s vision is to create a gender equal society where women have equal participation and decision making power in all spheres of society including family, community, governance and politics.
WLTC’s mission is to provide women with feminist understanding, analysis and tools to lead collective actions towards their own vision of an equal society.
WLTC was founded by a group of 5 grassroots women’s rights activists from Assam. At present WLTC has 7 trustees. Its trustees include women’s rights activists, grassroots women’s leaders, lawyers, academicians etc.
The present Trustees of WLTC and the governing board members are:
1. Banamallika Choudhury, President
Banamallika is a Women’s Rights Activist and Development Consultant. She is also working as the honorary Executive Director for the oraganisation.
2. Mayuri Deka, Secretary
Mayuri is an academician, poet and LBTQA++ rights activist.
3. Nasreen Habib, Treasurer
Nasreen is a journalist based in Guwahati
4. Bhumika Roy, Member
Bhumika is a woman leader from Kokrajhar. She is a founding member of WLTC
5. Malavika Das, Member
Malavika is a human and women’s rights lawyer based in Guwahati
6. Padumi Das, Member
Padumi is a gender and disability rights worker based in Guwahati
7. Sujata Hati Baruah, Member
Sujata is an academician and writer. She teaches at Puthimari College, Kamprup (rural)
The WLTC office and project team members are:
1. Banamallika Choudhury, Executive Director (honorary)
2. Indranee Kalita, Admin and Finance Office
3. Padumi Kalita, Accountant
4. Nilakshi Chakravarty, Logistics Support
5. Malavika Das, Legal Adviser
6. Majuwara Mullah, Field Coordinator